Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Tim Holtz Crazy Birds with Wire Glasses

Good morning readers!  This project like yesterdays was very fun to make but also some mistakes were made.  Yesterday's tags...I made 3 different sets before I got a set blog worthy.  Today's cards were not so much my own mistake but a faulty product.   I purchased the Tim Holtz Crazy Bird set which was a Michael's exclusive.  It has 3 mini birds, matching dies and an embossing folder (not the embossing folder used on these cards).  I was making these cards for a friend's birthday...he is in the eye business.  I first stamped the bird in the second card.  When I cleaned it off a piece of polymer flipped off.  I stamped the second image and as you can see when you look at the wings of both pieces there is a deformity in the stamp.  (insert frowny face).  I contacted Sizzix and they do not have this product in stock to send a replacement because it is a Michael's exclusive.  I have been carrying it around in my car since I made these cards and every time I go to Michael's they are out of stock!!!  I don't want to give up the stamp set for credit since I used a coupon and all but I really would just like to have a replacement.  So these cards kind of bother me but I wonder if I didn't tell you this story would you have seen the deformity in the wing?  

Despite the deformity I really wanted to use the tall bird for my friend's card.  He is a tall fellow.  I ended up giving him this first brown version.  I spent a lot of time coloring the birds and distressing them with distress pens and my new Tim Holtz Distress marker spritzer tool.  It is discounted everywhere these days and I saw them at Tuesday Morning.  However simple it really is a great tool and for the $5-7 price, it is a tool you should own!  You can use them with all brands of markers.  I am very happy I made that purchase.


I do just love the wire glasses that I created out of crafting wire and some round nose pliers.  Not perfect but that is what makes them cute!


You can see here on the second stamped image the blank space on the wing where the a polymer blob formerly resided.  You can also see the beautiful speckles created by the marker spritz tool.  I have used it several more times since making these cards.  I masked off the beak and eyes before using this technique to keep them speckle free.


The swirly circle came from die cutting and embossing corrugated paper with a Spellbinders die.  I thought it looked pretty cool.


On this image, the first I stamped, you can see just a black circle where an extra blob of polymer was that was easily flicked off by a baby wipe but obviously prevented the details from appearing on the actual stamp when removed.  Sigh...so disappointed.  Hopefully, I will find it in stock soon to trade out!

Ingredients:
Tim Holtz Crazy Birds Sizzix stamp and die set
Distress markers
Alcohol markers
Tim Holtz embossing folder
Quick Quotes Midnight confessions chalking ink
misc ribbon
white card stock and scrap cardstock
Spellbinders circle die
brads
crafting wire and round nose pliers




I would like to enter this in the following challenges:





2016 Princess of Snark Badge


Thanks so much for stopping by!

Alicia

7 comments:

  1. Alicia, Those birds are adorable even if the wing isn't what you think it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is that little bird? Thanks so much for sharing your art with us in our Things With Wings Challenge. I hope you will stop by again real soon.
    Blessings,
    Karen
    Really Reasonable Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card! Love the wire rim glasses! Thanks for joining the sisterhood of snarky stampers (again) for E is for Embossing (and Edna!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since these birds are crazy anyway... I think they both look great! I totally understand why you want a replacement set. I love the glasses you mede as well... may just have to CASE that idea. Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card,thank you for joining us at Crafting from the Heart.

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun card, so creatively done! Love the glasses!!
    Thanks so much for playing along in my Critters and Creatures Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SERIOUSLY... I am LOVING this little guy you created... the glasses give him such a personality! Thanks for joining us over at the Sisterhood for Snarky Stampers this week!

    ReplyDelete